Open PhD Position in organ mapping
The newly established Institute for Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine (iTERM) develops and implements 3D imaging technologies to be able to generate the highest resolution views of whole mouse bodies and human organs. At iTERM, we bring together cutting-edge science from biology, chemistry, engineering, and computer applications. Our overarching aim is to obtain a holistic view on inter-connected biological systems in health and disease. We also develop deep learning-based algorithms (AI) to analyze large imaging and molecular data in a robust and unbiased way. Our research received high attention from high-profile scientific journals (Nature Methods Pan, Cai…Ertürk, 2016; Nature Neuroscience Cai, Pan…Ertürk 2018; Cell Pan, Schoppe…Ertürk, 2019; Cell Zhao…Ertürk, 2020; Nature Methods Todorov, Paetzold…Ertürk, 2020) and media including New York Times, Wall Street Journal and Süddeutsche Zeitung. You can find more about us at www.erturk-lab.com.
iTERM is located in the Munich area, which is listed as one of the best cities to live in the world every year. iTERM is an interdisciplinary and international team. Our working language is English. We are aiming to strengthen our new institute with highly motivated scientists.
We are seeking a highly motivated and talented PhD student in the area of Life Sciences to chart the cellular and molecular map of the human heart. This ambitious project aims to unravel the cell and molecular level information from the heart using state-of-the-art technologies including tissue clearing, light-sheet microscopy, and proteomics. The candidate will have access to the latest Mass-spec timsTOF pro/SCP instrument for the proteomics work and to the latest light-sheet microscopes for whole organ imaging. The candidate will collaborate with the computer scientists in the team for AI-based analysis of large imaging and proteomics data for different cardiac cell types. Furthermore, the candidate will work within an international consortium to contribute towards developing a common coordinate framework (CCF) for the healthy human body.
• Diploma or M.S. degree in a relevant Life Sciences field
• Interested in clearing and 3D imaging technology development
• Experienced in mouse handling, tissue processing, immunostaining, and fluorescent microscopy
• Knowledge in computation and imaging data analysis
• Demonstrated aptitude to perform experimental protocols and procedures, including detailed data collection, and analysis
• Good communication skills in English, self-motivation, problem-solving, and team player mentality
• Always willing to learn, and have the courage to ask questions when not clear
• Open to express opinions and receive feedback/criticism
• Ability to work independently, as well as part of a team
• Work in an innovative, well-equipped, and scientifically stimulating surrounding
• Help to establish a new institute at Helmholtz, a leading global research organization
• Gain insight into cutting edge technologies from biology to artificial intelligence
• Refine your personal development with further training opportunities
At the Helmholtz Zentrum München, you can contribute together with leading researchers to the investigation of the development, prevention, and treatment of environmental diseases such as diabetes, chronic lung diseases, and allergies. In order to further promote your professional development, we offer extensive and targeted research training and career programs. We support the reconciliation between work and private life with flexible working time models, occupational health management, a daycare facility for children, a childcare subsidy, Elder Care, as well as other counseling and support services.
Remuneration and benefits are in accordance with the collective agreement for the public service (TV EntgO Bund).
As a holder of the Total E-Quality Award, we promote equality of opportunity. In order to increase the proportion of women in management positions, we would be pleased to receive corresponding applications. Qualified applicants with physical disabilities will be given preference.
We are looking forward to receiving your comprehensive online application including your letter of motivation, CV, academic transcripts, and the name and contact of at least 3 referees.