How to apply to the GSN
The GSN Application Tool for admission in 2022 opens on December 1st, 2021.
Timeline for 2022 applications:
- Application period: Noon (CET) of December 1st, 2021 - Noon (CET) of February 15th, 2022
- Deadline for submission of application: 12:00 Noon (CET) of February 15th, 2022
- Deadline for submission of recommendation letters: 12:00 Noon (CET) of February 18th, 2022
- Communication of decisions about refusal or invitation to the Interviews: Approx. 1 week before interview phase
- GSN Interview Phase (Online): tba
- Start of GSN programs: October 1st, 2022
Please note that we will only consider applications and corresponding documentation submitted during the application phase through our online application site.
Be sure to check your program eligibility before starting your application!
The GSN does not charge an application fee.
English is the Lingua franca of the program, and thus a good command of English is required for participation.
Non-native English speakers should demonstrate adequate knowledge of the English language during the interview phase, however, the submission of an English language proficiency certificate is not required.
FAQ: I don't have a TOEFL/IELTS/Cambridge etc. language certificate. Can I still apply?
These specific tests are not required. English language proficiency will be tested during the interviews in Munich.top
Required documents for application:
1. Completed online application form (only available during the application period). Your completed online application form must be submitted by 12 o'clock noon CET on February 15th. You may save changes to your application before submitting.
You will need to have the following documents prepared for upload as PDF / scanned documents:
- Official transcripts / records of study: detailed documentation of your academic work (list of courses attended; grades if applicable)
FAQ: I haven't completed my degree yet. May I still apply?
You may apply to our programs if you will complete the final semester of your degree program before our program begins on October 1st.
- Diplomas: certificates of relevant examinations (e.g. Bachelor's or Master's degree, plus relevant intermediate exams)
- Motivation statement (check the exact format here)
- Research experience exposé (max. length 2,000 characters) - describing all research experience which you consider relevant for us to know - mandatory for all PhD applicants, except those in Neurophilosophy: Extra document requirements for neurophilosophy applicants
2. Two separate letters of recommendation (deadline: 12:00 (noon) CET on February 18th)
Letters of recommendation need to be submitted by the referees themselves.
On the online application form, you will have to fill in the referee contact tabs and follow the instructions to authorize the coordination office to invite the referees to submit their letter of recommendation electronically, on your behalf.
Your referees will need to fill in an evaluation form, as well as a recommendation letter.
FAQ: My referee has not received the email request to submit a recommendation:
Please inform your recommender in advance that a request will be sent soon and ask referees to also look in their spam folders if they do not receive the email as expected. Should your recommender however not receive the request, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please be aware that your application can only be processed after we have received both letters of recommendation. Therefore, please make sure that your referees have enough time to submit recommendations by the deadline (12:00 noon CET on February 18th).
General questions and inquiries should be sent to email@example.com
- Stage 1: complete applications will be reviewed.
- Stage 2: especially promising young scientists will be invited to the interview phase. More details about the interview phase will be sent per email to the selected candidates.
Please note only applicants who will have submitted the online application form along with all required documents by the deadline will be considered for admission!top