How to apply to the GSN
The next application period opens December 1st, 2018.
Deadline for submission of applications: February 15th, 2019 at 12:00 (noon) CET.
Be sure to check your program eligibility before starting your application!
Please note that we will only consider applications and corresponding documentation submitted during the application phase (December 1st, 2018 - February 15th, 2019) through our online application site.
The GSN does not charge an application fee.
English is the Lingua franca of the program, and thus a good command of English is required for participation.
Non-native English speakers should demonstrate adequate knowledge of the English language during the interviews in Munich, however the submission of an English language proficiency certificate is not required.
FAQ: I don't have a TOEFL/IELTS/Cambridge etc. language certificate. Can I still apply?
These specific tests are not required. English language proficiency will be tested during the interviews in Munich.top
Required documents for application:
1. Completed online application form (only available during the application period). Your completed online application form must be submitted by 12 o'clock noon CET on February 15th. You may save changes to your application before submitting.
You will need to have the following documents prepared for upload as PDF / scanned documents:
- CV (max. 2 pages)
- Official transcripts / records of study: detailed documentation of your academic work (list of courses attended; grades if applicable)
FAQ: I haven't completed my degree yet. May I still apply?
You may apply to our programs if you will complete the final semester of your degree program before our program begins on October 1st.
- Diplomas: certificates of relevant examinations (e.g. Bachelor's or Master's degree, plus relevant intermediate exams)
- Motivation statement (check here the exact format)
- Research experience exposé (max. length 2,000 characters) - describing all research experience which you consider relevant for us to know - mandatory for all PhD applicants, except those in Neurophilosophy: Extra document requirements for neurophilosophy applicants
2. Two separate letters of recommendation (deadline: 12:00 (noon) CET on February 21st!)
Letters of recommendation need to be submitted by the referee him or herself.
On the online application form, you will have to fill in the referee contact tabs and follow the instructions to authorize the coordination office to invite the referee to submit his/her letter of recommendation electronically, on your behalf.
Your referees will need to fill in an evaluation form, as well as a recommendation letter.
FAQ: My referee has not received the email request to submit a recommendation:
Please inform your recommender in advance that a request will be sent soon and ask referees to also look in their Spam folders if they do not receive the email as expected. Should your recommender however not receive the request, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please be aware that your application can only be processed after we have received both letters of recommendation. Therefore, please make sure that your referees have enough time to submit recommendations by the deadline (12:00 noon CET on February 21st).
General questions and inquiries should be sent to email@example.com
- Stage 1: selection procedure, the documents supplied by each applicant and respective referees will first be reviewed.
- Stage 2: especially promising young scientists will be invited to Munich for one week to have personal interviews with 3-4 members of the GSN faculty, and to get acquainted further with the GSN, the university, and Munich as a city (all travel, accommodation, etc. costs covered by the GSN).
More details about the interview week will be sent per email to the selected candidates.
Please note only applicants who will have submitted the online application form along with all required documents by the deadline will be considered for admission!top