How to apply to the GSN
The application period within the Graduate School of Systemic Neurosciences for entry in Fall 2018 is now open.
Deadline for submission of applications: February 15th, 2019 at 12:00 (noon) CET.
Deadline for submission of recommendation letters: February 21st, 2019 at 12:00 (noon) CET.
Please note that we do not accept any documents via Email!
We look forward to your application!
A few things to keep in mind in preparation of your application:
Be sure to check your program eligibility before starting your application!
Please note that we will only consider applications and corresponding documentation submitted during the application phase (December 1st - February 15th) to our online application site.
The GSN does not charge an application fee.
English is the Lingua franca of the program, and thus a good command of English is required for participation.
Non-native English speakers should demonstrate adequate knowledge of the English language during the interview phase, however the submission of English language proficiency test is not required.
Required documents for application:
1. Completed online application form (only available during the application period). Your completed online application form must be submitted by 12 o'clock noon CET on February 15th at the latest. You may save changes to your application before submitting.
You will need to have the following documents prepared for upload as PDF / scanned documents:
- CV (organized chronologically from your high school studies up to your current situation. Dates should be entered as MM/YYYY and should cover the entire time span without any time gaps longer than 3 months)
- Official transcripts / records of study: detailed documentation of your academic work (list of courses attended; grades if applicable)
- Diplomas: certificates of relevant examinations (e.g. Bachelor's or Master's degree, plus relevant intermediate exams)
- Motivation statement (check the exact format here)
- Research experience exposé (max. length 2,000 characters) - describing all research experience which you consider relevant for us to know - mandatory for all PhD applicants, except those in Neurophilosophy: Extra document requirements for neurophilosophy applicants
Please note that the research experience exposé is NOT about listing the methods used in your research, as a special field for methods listing has been established in the online application tool.
2. Two separate letters of recommendation (deadline: 12:00 (noon) CET on February 21st!)
Letters of recommendation need to be submitted by the referees themselves.
On the online application form, you will have to fill in the referee contact tabs and follow the instructions to authorize the coordination office to invite the referees to submit their letter of recommendation electronically, on your behalf.
Your referees will need to fill in an evaluation form as well as a recommendation letter.
Please be aware that your application can only be processed after we have received both letters of recommendation. Therefore, please make sure that your referees have enough time to submit recommendations by the deadline (12:00 (noon) CET on February 21st).
General questions and inquiries should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note only applicants who have submitted the online application form along with all required documents will be considered for admission!
- Stage 1: complete applications will be reviewed.
- Stage 2: especially promising young scientists will be invited the interview phase. More details about the interview week will be sent per email to the selected candidates.
Timeline for the application round 2019:
- December 1, 2018: Beginning of the application round for 2019, opening of the GSN online application system
- February 15, 2019: Application deadline, closure of the GSN online application system
- February 21, 2019: Deadline for submission of recommendation letters
- Early April 2019: Invitations to interviews in Munich
- May 3-7, 2019: Interview phase
- By end of May 2019: Final decisions
- October 1, 2019: Start of programs
Please contact us for further questions, we are happy to help you!